Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Jon's Vacation: Day 4













Ah, a restaraunt which serves real seafood... only in California. Or Oregon, or Hawaii or anyplace that isn't Utah.

Many things accomplished today. All of it, stuff that was good for me to do, but kept me from doing the thing that I wanted to do the most today. Write the movie. Anyway, I'll be hitting it hard tomorrow.

Okay, here is my list of favorite Superhero movies (not comic book movies per se, because there are countless tons of those) as of late.

In descending order

1. Batman Begins - Pretty much perfect in every way. The Dark Knight to the World's Greatest Detective. Mind blowing production values, A list actors and crew, phenomenal storytelling. Simply, without peer.

2. Spiderman 2 - This film like, four-upped its predecessor. Everything was a notch above, along with a villanous plot with a redemptive twist. And Bruce Campbell is in it.

3. Superman Returns - Just saw this one tonight. It was good. Even very good. I liked the new Superman, I liked Lois. Loved Luthor. But for me it only had glimmers of the glory of Superman. Batman Begins had me writhe with glee every time we caught a glimpse of the caped crusader. Superman had that potential. His personal anguish, the plane sequence. Even saving the city, but it seemed like a simple summary to me. It was this close. Still, it's one of the best movies that I've seen this summer (which isn't necessarily saying much) and it's much better than the majority of the Marvel schlock that's been coming out lately. Oh yeah, Jared tells me there's a typo in the credits. Look for the 'Post Poduction Supervisor'.

4. X2 & X3 (Tie) - I know I know. There are a lot of you X3 haters out there, but I thought that the Ratner did great, especially with what he had been given. Multiple Man. Whenever did I think I would see Multiple Man in a movie? Awesome. X2 would have ranked higher up on the scale if Bryan Singer didn't insist on having huge dragging portions of the film (Superman had the same problem). X3, though not as densely plotted as X2, just let it all out. Yeah yeah, the Phoenix Saga could have been done better, but given the comic book context, I think they did well. Holy crap, how nerdy did I sound just then?

5. Spiderman
6. Blade
7. X-Men
(The list goes to crap right around here)
8. Daredevil
9. Hulk

And that's it. Fantastic Four isn't worthy to look at this list. I'd put Sky High higher up on the list than FF, and I haven't even seen Sky High.

So, that's what I did today, along with spending hours doing stuff for my sister's wedding. At least I'll only have to do that once (crosses fingers) : )

7 comments:

Ryan said...

I enjoyed your superhero movie list. I thought it was well thought-out, (except for the obvious fact that you left Meteor Man and Captain America out of your top five). I agree that Superman dragged in parts, but overall, it was a GREAT movie!

Trent Jensen said...

But X3 ruined the chances for the Multiple-Man-as-actually-a-good-guy-spin-off-movie I was hoping for!

Also, Superman Returns, very good, but it got Lex way wrong.

Trent Jensen said...

Oh, yeah, and Sky High (non-sarcastically) rocks. Bruce Campbell? Dave Foley? Get outta here!

canasian said...

Dang, I really need to see Sky High. Yeah, and Trent, I don't know the Superman books well enough to know Lex. I take it that they were doing more Lex from the first movie than Lex from the books...?

Oh yeah, and how could I forger Meteor Man. Silly Me. Let's not forget Bubble Boy and Dolph Lungrens, The Punisher as well.

canasian said...

P.S. Pirates 2 is going to OWN this summer.

Or in internet speak, Pirates 2 is going to p0wned! this summer.

J-Rad said...

And it's "Post Production Coordinator"

canasian said...

Jetty was way good. First time I've had real fish and a while. Good clam chowder too (rich though). Mitch, e-mail me with your new number dude, cause we need to BBQ.

J-Rad, I'm missing the typo in the title there... is it supposed to by hyphenated?